SailNet Community - View Single Post - Floated off the stands
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

I am reviving this thread because I too had a boat in Sea Bright, NJ and she also floated off her stands. I'll say right off that my wife and I (not to mention my granddaughter) love this boat.
As luck would have it, when we hauled 3 weeks before the storm, I decided to take the mast down to check the rigging the furler etc. When the storm surge floated her off her stands the Hannah Lee looks to have floated in a circle bumped into a building and was then surrounded by 3 other boats. I was able to get to her a few weeks ago and found her scratched moderately but generally in good condition. The worst wear was under her bow where she must have been chafing on another boat, but even this is pretty cosmetic. There was no evidence of any water inside. The rudder turns stop to stop without a hitch. The keel has it's same old C&C smile but no other damage. The prop and shaft are intact and run true. I have started and winterized the engine with no problem. The mast on the other hand was under water and the head stay looks un-wound on the top near the fitting that is swaged on. The furler also was under water.
I thought that this was really good news until yesterday when the surveyor called and hinted that the repaint job alone could exceed their value for the boat. He hasn't finished the paperwork so the exact numbers aren't available yet.
So here are my questions:
If they "total " the boat, is their "buy back" price negotiable? Are there ways to mitigate the approximately $300/ foot repaint costs? (Tip and Brush it myself? Ugh.) What would I need to do to the mast to minimize the effects of the salt water bath? Is it possible to get a slightly used Furler? Are they difficult to install seeing that the mast is down? Would I have any trouble re-surveying the boat after the repairs so I could get the boat re-insured? What other issues am I likely to run up against?
Thanks for your input.
BruceyP
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook