SailNet Community - View Single Post - To all my Northern Sailing Friends...
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: To all my Northern Sailing Friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I dedicate this thread to all those scraping the snow off their sidewalks instead of eating it out of a cone, those with 14 layers of clothes on their body instead of in their drawers, those who have red noses instead of red shoulders, those with bubblers under their boats instead of in their hands, those with a dozen extension cords snaked throughout the cabin to heaters instead of fans, those who wear rubber boots instead of flipflops, those who put salt on their drives instead of on their margaritas, and those who have antifreeze in their tanks instead of water....

... our thoughts are with you. Better days are only six months away. The sun is still up there beyond the clouds. The annual Ice Age will retreat.

And remember, those of us in Florida are plying the waters to keep them aerated for you. We are fishing the docks and coasts to make sure its inhabitants do not become complacent before your return. We are snorkeling and diving the reefs to make sure the life of the sea is staying in good order for the day you can come out of your igloos. We are ever mixing margaritas and toasting you at sunset, tears in our eyes. We got your back, my friends, we got your back.

Personally, I think you guys and gals up there owe us a bit of thanks.

Your Floridian friend,

Brian

PS It is 78 here today...
Jeeze Brian, are your Nuts?!? What balderdash.. You'll get these guys thinking about coming down here and they'll bring their attitudes (and politics) with them.

Moreover, you better think about the fix you'll be in when they find out the truth--that the Mosquitoes, Biting Flies and No-See-Ums are actually worse in the winter than the summer; that the sea is befouled with Oil from the Gulf Horizon spill (and all those dead bird carcasses floating around) and the sea food inedible; that all the inside coves are populated with derelicts patrolled by opportunistic Water Cops (and in their absence hungry Bull Sharks); that we actually do get into the 30's from time-to-time (at least a day or two); and, that Guns are legal here and are actually needed from time to time to deal with ravaging Alligators, Iguanas (that are known to drop out of trees onto the heads of unsuspecting tourists when the weather gets cold--see preceding) and more recently, escaped Pythons that are prone to attack tourists in the middle of the night in otherwise quiet anchorages (said Pythons being able to distinguish between Crackers and transients).

When these guys get here and discover all of this for themselves, you'll have a lota 'splainin to do Buddy.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook