SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this pro wiring?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this pro wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
"Professional" means that someone got paid to do the installation. It does not mean that they did it right.
I beg to differ. I'm a Carpenter, and I can take one look at a project and tell you if it was done by a pro or a handyman. I have worked with many carpenters who are "union journeyman", but are certainly not pros. Though, we both got paid. In certain areas I don't consider myself a pro. For example, cabinet making. I can certainly make cabinets for you. However, it would take me longer than someone who does it regularly, yet a lot less time than Joe handyman. You probably couldn't tell the difference between my finished product and the cabinetmaker's (unlike Joe handyman). However, I wouldn't present myself as a cabinetmaker, even if you paid me. It's simply not worth my time and your money! So, no....being a pro is not simply about being paid.

One thing I have learned from this thread is that the standards for marine factory dealers is lower than I realized, having dealt with only one shop who's standards are high. However, come to think of it, I know of a boat yard who flies several factory banners including Yanmar's and I wouldn't let that yard touch my boat!

Last edited by L124C; 12-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook