SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The builder of the Replica Bounty built in Lunenberg, NS. Cost $5.7 million dollars in todays money.

HMS Bounty Hurricane Sandy: Builder of HMS Bounty replica saddened by its demise in Hurricane Sandy - Orlando Sentinel
Chef,
I am not sure of the quality of build or the materials used for the "movie" Bounty. I assume they may have been good when "new" but the ship may have out lived its useful life or was not maintained properly, as recently there seems to have been a lot of rot. Weather the ship had rot when she sank, hopefully the CG report would shed some light.

The question I have is more with the ship design and ballasting. From my understanding the ship was not built to the original Bounty design drawings. Apparently the drawings were obtained, but it is a question if they were actually used. Then the ship's length was increased 30%. This changes everything, was tank testing done on the new design? I could see they needed a bigger ship to hold camera and film crew, and seeing they planned to burn the ship at end of film, probably not concerned with the nautical design. The other question I have was the reballasting of the movie "Bounty". Seems a nautical engineer was involved, but looks like (from CG web page) CG questioned the reballasting, then a letter was provided by Bounty owner and CG was ok with the reballast- but was it really ok?

I hope the CG report on the sinking will address these issues.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook