SailNet Community - View Single Post - Over reliance on electronics
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Over reliance on electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I bet you are a better navigator then you let on. y.
I never said i couldnt navigate. I have just finished an intricate overnighter from Ft Lauderdale to Key West, 175 nms , outside the reefs but out of the gulf stream so was within 500 yards (meters) of the reefs for much of the time, including sleeping, arriving refreshed enough to go out on my night of arrival.
It was a passage that no person could do without electronices but completely safe no matter what (even if the combined Russian and USA satellites fell out of the sky) but never needing to take a baring of a light, nor needing to know what its names nor characteristics were.

Yes there were tricks to it and no i wouldnt recommend it to a learning ECN navigator and would never recommend it to a paper chartist.

Navigating can still be exciting without paper charts and a sex-whatever.

And i was stil able to toss in a few internet posts along the way.

As a nav exercise, and a short passage it was pretty damn good, if i say so myself.
But that doesnt mean I get complacent....

After doing a trans atlantic passage about 12 years ago charting only on paper i can tell you Nav can be easier, more exact, SAFER, and more enjoyable on ECN. Plus it gives you more time to ENJOY the passage.

And enjoyment is what cruising is all about on my boat.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook