SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
A ~90 ft ship (originally) becomes a ~120 ft. ship because it was built from same plans? If built from same plans, it would be ~90 ft. If it is stretched in someway to 120 ft, it's not the same ship. The forces acting at sea on a 90 ft. ship and a 120 ft. ship are different. Therefore, did they hold all the dimensions just the same except put in a 30 ft extension. If designed correctly, it would be a complete redesign, structures thoughout the ship would have to be different to take into consideration the different forces. And it wasn't built like the original one.....there is that stuff about a special deck/platform built in for camera equipment.

Back to the Bounties....the last one mentioned (the steel hull one) is so different that it has no relationship other than outward appearance to Walbridge's Bounty.

And Walbridge's Bounty was a movie prop, destined to be destroyed as part of the movie process.....now guys, I don't care what it costs, I want the ship for this movie built exactly like the original one, no matter that we are going to burn it when the movie is finished...it's just money after all. And oh yeah, make it a good bit longer so that we'll have more room, and I need special decks below. Also, let's put in some engines, pumps, generators, and lots of other stuff in there.....but be sure to keep it exactly the same as the original, no matter what it costs.
Quote:
This boat was built as a movie prop. It is likely that the investors didn't build the boat to the same standards as a real sea-going ship...the original, even though is was built in another day, was likely more seaworthy.-NCC320 post 44
Well at least you are consistantly wrong on your posts. Would you care to show us the facts for these hypethetical assertions. Most have moved away from that assertion as in the rush to judge it was one of those statements s after careful inspection which isnt accurate

Quote:
120 ft. ship because it was built from same plans? If built from same plans, it would be ~90 ft. If it is stretched in someway to 120 ft, it's not the same ship. The forces acting at sea on a 90 ft. ship and a 120 ft. ship are different. Therefore, did they hold all the dimensions just the same except put in a 30 ft extension. If designed correctly, it would be a complete redesign, structures thoughout the ship would have to be different to take into consideration the different forces.
How do you know it wasnt redesigned. The people who built this are not the dunderheads you make them out to be. They are professional boatbuliders. And your qualifications to make this assumption are?
Quote:
This boat was built as a movie prop
Show me other from a professional that it was called a movie prop. All I have seen are ametuer sleuths calling it that. This statement is a purjoritive adjective you and a few others hae appllied which makes it seem like it was less than and conjures up substandard construction. All FACTS presented seem to show the opposite. Where do you get your nformation?
Quote:
And Walbridge's Bounty was a movie prop, destined to be destroyed as part of the movie process
Yes we know why though, thestory is the at the end the Bounty in real life was burned. Not because it was built well, ad their is no evidence it was built less than because it was going to be burned. If you have some show us. In fact the reports are from the buliders and designers as wll as some posters on here it was built incredibly accurately and well.

My only concern is that the righting factor was changed and due dilligence was performed when the made the design changes. The inquirey will tell us this.

Maintainence is another story here and needs to be investigater by the authorities.

Unless you can supply us with concrete data and facts about what you said we will have to assume it was a boat built to be used in a movie, AT SEA to standards, by a reputable bulider with a professional designer?

We wll await your proof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-21-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook