SailNet Community - View Single Post - Over reliance on electronics
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Over reliance on electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Can't say I support that. Getting a fix on a GPS is easy, quick and generaly very reliable so to learn how to effectively do celestial nav in these times is, to me, a waste of time. If you have it and use it as a hobby and maaaaaybe in an emergency that's cool but starting now? No, I don't thinks so
Yes I do agree. I meant running fixes, DR etc. some people call this pilotage and some navigation.
I don't think cellestial is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
That level of redundancy is extremely rare on any boat - I'd be interested in what the 9 independent battery systems you have look like.
I am not sure it's rare these days, its hard to buy a phone without a GPS. For cruising sailors like myself our yacht is home so old computers etc accumulate. For the record between my wife and myself I have on board.
4 laptops.
2 iPads
2 phones with GPS.
2 handheld marine GPS units
2 fixed marine GPS units
2 older fixed marine GPS that still work.

My boat has 2 independent house banks plus an emergency battery mounted high up. So 3 house banks and a start bank which can be diverted to house bank. I also have a small 12v gel battery I use for testing and repairing equipment.

So that is actually 15 separate battery sources that could power a GPS and or maps. There are 10 GPS units on board.
I keep a couple of the units in a faraday cage.

So more than I thought now I have added it up. Some like the old laptop batteries are probably marginal, but the bottom line is there is lots of redundancy. This multiple level of redundancy is not necessary, but its what I have and it continues to increase as phone, computers and tablets are replaced with modern units.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook