SailNet Community - View Single Post - A penny for your thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

geehaw is on a distinguished road
Re: A penny for your thoughts

Well I think you need to not give up so easily. First off you are already live in one of the most ,interested in, cruising areas in the world. But you have to think maybe a bit bigger. I live in Alaska and know someone that does charters. Now he has a power boat not a sailboat. But it is a nice power boat.More like staying in a 4 star+ hotel complete with laundry. He charges more like $2500 per person. He already has lots of money and does it more for pleasure then profit. But I am sure it pays a lot of boat bills. He only does like 4 or 5 charters a year. There is also a an outfit here that does hunting in a luxury boat and charges closer to the $7000 per passenger rate. But it includes guided trophy hunts. I looked into this for my father-in-law quite a few years back but was even more then he wanted to pay. My wife says it was closer to $10,000. You have to appeal to the higher end people. But this also requires a higher end boat. And of course the captain's license, insurance and boat maintenance. But to say it can't be done is flat out wrong. You just have to find the right niche to make the money.

And here is also the lower end, champagne sunset sails, whale watching day trips and kick back fishing trips. There are boats ,and owners, that do this so it is not impossible. Look for charters do a couple maybe. See what ya get. Call some ask for advice, some might be willing to give you some. SN is a good site but geared more to the cruiser and pleasure sailor then the money maker. But any business requires more work then the average cruiser is going to want to do. That is why they are cruisers! Don't mean that in any bad way. I know some worked themselves half to death so they can do just that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook