SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I Need an EPIRB?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do I Need an EPIRB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You can have both PLB and VHF w dsc for 700 who says you have to chose.

Those of you who boat in colder waters than I do most of the time, do you all carry liferafts?

Question, when you cruise Maine do you all have liferafts? Do you have survival or imersion suits?
Do you have anything special in the raft to keep you warm?

Dave
Dave,

The reality of most coastal Maine "cruising" is extended day sailing. It is also true that most boats enjoying our beautiful coast do not have life rafts. A typical day's sail can easily get far enough from shore to be out of sight of land. That and or darkness / fog / storm conditions coupled with frigid water temperatures put the small boats in a critical rescue time zone regardless of how far from land they are.

All of the safety gear being discussed here deserve careful consideration. Some are not optional. VHF radios, both fixed and hand held should be aboard any boat that leaves the dock. DSC should be a minimum for the fixed radio. One without it should be a "spare". PLBs are an amazing bit of technology. I am looking for a source of the Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB to add to Christmas stockings (mine and the Admiral's). Anyone know where I can buy a couple? We carry two immersion suits, hand held VHF's and individual PLBs. We tow an inflatable and the boat has radar etc. No AIS transmitter yet!

Immersion suits and PLBs should keep us alive long enough for the rescue and show them where to find us. If I had neither and had to make a decision that was within the OPs budget I would opt for the suits.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 12-21-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook