SailNet Community - View Single Post - SF Bay Sailors - Transiting the Bonita Channel?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay Sailors - Transiting the Bonita Channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaysailing View Post
Hey everyone

So we ended up going up and down the channel on wednesday, and soaking the pots off muir beach for a few hours.
The channel was fine, no problems at all. It was, however, a bit intimidating to be inside of those large swells as they stood up on the potato patch....and then backed down again in the channel. I'd say that was probably as much swell as Id feel comfortable with in the channel, though I think it would be safe with more swell.
And we caught about 30 crabs and 6 sand dabs and had a big feast!
Thanks everyone for the advice....it was really helpful in making the decision.
All the best,
greg
Glad to hear you had a good trip and even caught some crabs, pretty good haul for a few hours!! "Keelhauling" posted a picture of a huge breaker breaking right at one of the Bonita bouys with calm looking water all around it. Sometimes one just has to rely on their own "pucker factor". I have gone down the channel looking way up at the breakers on the patch, not very far away. Suggest you not become over confident there, it can be a truly nasty place especially when there is a big ebb flowing.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook