SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

[quote=NCC320;965180]Sorry, Chef and others....

It was a movie prop, maybe a good one, but neverless a movie prop. And if it was significantly longer, wider, heavier, with about the same draft as the original as has been reported, it is a different vessel even though it might look similar and the original Bounty plans served as a reference basis for it's design.

Regarding movie props, did you ever visit the production lot of a movie producer...blocks of buildings that are really just fronts with no backs, and often painted to look like stone construction? Just a little common sense would tell you that movie houses, even MGM, would watch the investment. But Bounty was a ship, therefore they wouldn't mind costs so much...? That it may have been built by well known shipbuilders with a history of building wooden vessels is not surprising; it was after all not the cardboard and toilet paper thing that Chef alluded to earlier. For the builder, there was money to be made in building this prop, which required specialized skills that few yards have today/or had in 1960. And there was the publicity value of being awarded the job. From movie makers standpoint, even if it was a prop, it had to be sufficiently capable of getting the job done, so they might prefer someone experienced in the field. Builders will generally adhere closely to the plans provided when they build something.....so what goes into the ship would have been determined by the naval architects or engineers.
Chef....your question of what makes me qualified to speak.....you really don't want to go there. Can you answer the same question as it pertains to you?[/
QUOTE]

Quote:
Regarding movie props, did you ever visit the production lot of a movie producer...blocks of buildings that are really just fronts with no backs, and often painted to look like stone construction?
Yes I have been to movie sets in Hollywood and also in New York and Baltimore. Why would you make this statement though unless you wanted to mislead people on the Bounty construction After all you dispute what you are saying below .
Quote:
That it may have been built by well known shipbuilders with a history of building wooden vessels is not surprising; it was after all not the cardboard and toilet paper thing that Chef alluded to earlier.
Quote:
Chef....your question of what makes me qualified to speak.....you really don't want to go there. Can you answer the same question as it pertains to you
I am not making sweeping statements saying they are fact without proof you are. In fact I keep saying I am willing to wait until the EXPERTS on naval design and archetecture as well as the experts on naval ship building weigh in. We already have quotes from the chief builder of the Bounty which directly dispute everything you have posted.

I notice that you still have yet to post a fact....from a source. You continue to dance around that. Your posts still are just your opinion not fact which of course you are entitled to. I have no opinion on this other than to mention that the facts I have seen lead me to conclude your opinion has no factual basis. I am willing to withhold judgement on to the fact whether the Bounty was constructed soley as a movie prop or was truly built to authentic specs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook