SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't know if the CG will be looking at that or not. As I have said, it is not pertinent to the main cause of the accident, since even a XX century steel ship would not be adequate to sail an Hurricane.

Regards

Paulo
I agree. I dont think I or anyone is saying that it was made or should sail into a hurricane. We all argree with you here that sailing into a hurricane is not a prudent thing.

I would hope the CG looks into the specific design characteristics of the Bounty for a couple of reasons.

One- IMHO there probably are other TS out there also who may have modified original drawings, and since we all agree that that could alter the sailing characteristics, righting moments etc, what has to be done to recertify them or what is done to retest their stability. What was done for the Bounty when they built it larger and modified the weight it carried in the keel? For all we know this was an accident waiting to happen ( not talking about sailing into a hurricane).
This could be one of the side lessons we could learn from this tradgedy and maybe other TS need to be looked at again if modifications were made.

Two- This goes to the tolerances issue which I have presented earlier. Maybe the design characateric change would say this ship should sail in anything but seas 10 ft or less, or in winds of 30 or less. I beleive theior is a distinct rating by insurance ( LLoyds I beleive) and others of ocean going ability ( I am no expert in this, but know it occurs). I think it based on tolerances, design and other criteria

Again this could be one of the side lessons we could learn from this tradgedy and maybe other TS tolerances need to be looked at

I know this may not be your issues here, and its not to take away or explain the hurricane issue, but as you have said there should be no censoring of ideas and I would like to see this addressed as a possible outcome of this investigation.

The results may prevent future incidents in heavier weather than normal which any of these ships could encounter in sailing from port to port as the sea can be unpredictable as we know.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook