SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Both the documents you have posted have been posted already on this thread, The one with the inspections by someone from the Bounty organization to show that the boat had been inspected frequently.

I asked if those inspections were made regarding the boat being a dock attractions or if not to what those inspections refer. I am still waiting for the answer.

Regarding the 1998 incident, that has I said was posted an discussed here, even if something similar may have happen it is good to remember that the condition of the vessel in 2012 had nothing with its condition in 1998. The ship had been completely remade.
My apologies that they were already posted. I only looked back to about mid-November and might have missed that discussion.

As I said, those inspections were all made as a dockside attraction vessel. In all reality, they are not thorough enough to call a vessel "inspected frequently," implying that they were the same inspections as a vessel under subchapter T or R would have to go through. Really, they were not much more than a fire marshal inspection of a building.

I would not call the 1998/2012 differences completely remade. There was still much that was to be desired, that fact I know from discussion over the last couple years with crew (mostly those who crewed in 2007-2010).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
However, as I have pointed earlier, it seems to me that a contributing cause can have been the abandon of the diesel pumping system as the main system and his substitution for a not independent system (hydraulic) run directly by the engines.

In fact it was not made yet clear what was now the main pumping system: the electric one or the hydraulic one? and what was the back up system.
That I don't know the answer to. I do wonder why hand pumps were never installed on her, especially with her familiarity with water in and outside the boat. In all my years on every other boat, anything but the "boards wet" was cause of concern. On the other hand, the owner was quoted:

"At that time it wasn't considered an emergency, even though they had several feet of water inside the boat," Hansen said. "She's a very large ship, and that little bit of water really does not do anything to her." Sandy claims 'Bounty' off North Carolina - CNN.com

Now imagine, hundreds of gallons of water sloshing around a hull with no watertight compartments, and even with perfectly working engines, and pumps primed and high enough away from the water, you're still going to be screwed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook