SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepl3nty View Post
My apologies that they were already posted. I only looked back to about mid-November and might have missed that discussion.

As I said, those inspections were all made as a dockside attraction vessel. In all reality, they are not thorough enough to call a vessel "inspected frequently," implying that they were the same inspections as a vessel under subchapter T or R would have to go through. Really, they were not much more than a fire marshal inspection of a building.

I would not call the 1998/2012 differences completely remade. There was still much that was to be desired, that fact I know from discussion over the last couple years with crew (mostly those who crewed in 2007-2010).

That I don't know the answer to. I do wonder why hand pumps were never installed on her, especially with her familiarity with water in and outside the boat. In all my years on every other boat, anything but the "boards wet" was cause of concern. On the other hand, the owner was quoted:

"At that time it wasn't considered an emergency, even though they had several feet of water inside the boat," Hansen said. "She's a very large ship, and that little bit of water really does not do anything to her." Sandy claims 'Bounty' off North Carolina - CNN.com

Now imagine, hundreds of gallons of water sloshing around a hull with no watertight compartments, and even with perfectly working engines, and pumps primed and high enough away from the water, you're still going to be screwed.
Again thank you for your continued posting

Do you know if there are any additional inspections during the building/ design phase when the plans are modified to increase the size or lessen the weight carried in the keel like happened on the Bounty. I ask as when I modify my house I must go back to the zoning board with the plan modification?

Do you know of the Bounty practiced emergency procedures. Were the perfunctory and done just because they were required or did they beleive in them?

On the vessel you sail on What type of emergency procedures are practiced? I saw what you posted, I amreferring to underway....like MOB or abandon ship procedures. How is that handled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-21-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook