SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepl3nty View Post

That I don't know the answer to. I do wonder why hand pumps were never installed on her, especially with her familiarity with water in and outside the boat. In all my years on every other boat, anything but the "boards wet" was cause of concern. On the other hand, the owner was quoted:

"At that time it wasn't considered an emergency, even though they had several feet of water inside the boat," Hansen said. "She's a very large ship, and that little bit of water really does not do anything to her." Sandy claims 'Bounty' off North Carolina - CNN.com

Now imagine, hundreds of gallons of water sloshing around a hull with no watertight compartments, and even with perfectly working engines, and pumps primed and high enough away from the water, you're still going to be screwed.
There is nothing to apologize.

There are some photos that were posted on another forum that shows a very vulnerable electric installation precisely to that kind of water sloshing around.

Even if the generators were working, if the system was shorted below, the electric pumps would not work anymore.

That electric pump system was the back up system back in 1998 and failed exactly because "the wires got wet" so it should be evident that was a vulnerable system. The boat was in trouble in 1998 precisely because the main diesel pump(s) failed.

It seems that Diesel autonomous main pump system was replaced by Hydraulic pumps directly connected to the engines, a non autonomous system that would fail when the engines went out of order.

It was known that the boat made water. The director of the shipyard were the boat was repaired stated that. In those conditions a reliable autonomous pump system with one or more back ups would be essential for boat safety.

I have many doubts about the installed pumping systems, their reliability and their autonomy regarding other boat systems.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook