SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Do you know if there are any additional inspections during the building/ design phase when the plans are modified to increase the size or lessen the weight carried in the keel like happened on the Bounty. I ask as when I modify my house I must go back to the zoning board with the plan modification?
I don't know what kind of inspections occurred regarding the size changes. Because she came from a reputable boatyard I imagine they would account for it, no matter if she was going to sail for only a couple months of filming or decades. I imagine there would be something from the shipyard/designers, but as to any inspection by the USCG.. it would not be necessary (there were no plans to use her elsewhere). Maybe an inspection by a surveyor?
I do know when an inspected boat changes anything, be they sail plan, rig changes, tonnage, etc, they have to have the plans ok'd and inspected by the USCG.

Quote:
Do you know of the Bounty practiced emergency procedures. Were the perfunctory and done just because they were required or did they beleive in them?
Anything I would answer you with would be speculation. However, I believe that safety is a culture, not just a practice, as you refer to it as "believe in them [emergency procedures]." From what I've seen and heard, I do not believe that Bounty may have had as strong a "culture" as other vessels. There are two YouTube videos which you may or may not have seen that show this.

My critiques are: in the first video, they are hove-to, but there is no one at or near the helm, with the exception of the videographer. Whenever I've been hove-to or even anchored on other vessels, we've always had some sort of watch, usually two but sometimes one, depending on the weather. What would happen if the sails split and everyone else is asleep or eating dinner? Plus, the hatches are wide open. With that much wind, and 18' seas as the poster points out, those hatches should be closed in case of any knock down.

In the second video, it takes far too long for crew to climb aloft and furl that course. Giving the benefit of a doubt, if the first person to climb was green, and still slow climbing aloft, s/he should be last to climb or remain on deck. Two weeks after joining my first ship, our main topsail blew. The mate kept all of us newer crew on deck so that the nimble and more secure older hands could furl away. Secondly, no one looks like they are clipped in (if I think way back in my memory I remember that most of the yards had a single line stretched from yard arm to yard arm for crew to clip in, when the standard is a 1/2-1" steel bar attached every 2-3' to the top of the yard directly). Crew are constantly saying questions like "should I coil this?" when they should know the answer beyond a shadow of a doubt. Finally, it takes them ten minutes to furl, and they don't even finish it because the topmast gives way(!). On a properly trained ship, and even with a heavy sail like the course, ten minutes should be fine to "harbor furl," or make it look perfect for the public. In bad weather, they would "sea stow" the sail, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Going back to my safety culture argument, I remember in 2008 a friend of mine was nearly killed when the line they were using to step a topmast parted. He had just guided in the pin to keep the topmast stepped or his head would've..

On the other hand, I know they had fire, MOB, and abandon ship drills. They obviously also had gumby suits, something not even all the other TallShips carry.

Quote:
On the vessel you sail on What type of emergency procedures are practiced? I saw what you posted, I amreferring to underway....like MOB or abandon ship procedures. How is that handled?
On 95% of every vessel I've sailed on (a dozen or so?), we've had drills at least once a month, and whenever new crew joined. For those of us that took passengers overnight, we had drills and discussions of the station bill (every permanent crew had a specific job/s to do, and there were overlaps). Of course, sometimes the safety drill doesn't become a culture.. during my first MOB drill as mate on a motored dinner cruise boat, I ran to the back deck with my station bill required gear, and found one of the other crew smoking. He had not even noticed our MOB buoy pass by, and ignored the MOB drill calls on the PA system. I cracked down on him pretty hard, and took away his "senior deckhand" privileges for several weeks.

While underway, we'd often have some sort of drills.. my most memorable was several years ago on a flat calm day motoring in the South Pacific. the captain quietly asked me to don a life jacket and grab a VHF, and jump overboard. Of our 8 crew, only he and the cook (who had been aboard 8 months, as long as I had) knew the plan. So I quietly jumped over, and watched in a quasi-terror as the boat immediately sounded the alarms, threw overboard life rings, and turned round. The conditions were perfect for such an event, but it is still nerve-wracking to see a boat only turn around at your horizon, and see how far away that appears. I later found I was only in the water for a few minutes, but it felt like an eternity.

The idea, I'm sure you know, is that if drills happen often enough, they will become like muscle memory, and even in a panicked state, we will do what we were trained to do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook