SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump non return valve.
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bilge pump non return valve.

Also just came across this from Rule:

"The Rule Pumps FAQs.

Can I install a check valve on the pump discharge?

Check valves are not recommended

Why doesn't Rule Pumps want check valve on the pump's discharge?
Check valves are prohibited by the American Boat & Yacht Council for use as an anti-siphon device-and with good reason: They're notorious for failing in both the open and the closed position, which respectively leads to flooding or failure to pump. If the valve is close to the pump, the pump may not be able to overcome the weight of the water on the other side of the valve, rendering the pump ineffective

Why does my automatic Rule Pumps turns off if I install a check valve on the discharge of the pump?
The automatic bilge pump turns on about every two and a half minutes to "check" for high water. If water causes resistance on the pump, it continues to pump until the resistance lowers. With the check valve installed at the pump, it cant feel the weight of the water, and shuts off, allowing the bilge to fill with water!"

They must have read my mind....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook