SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing BVIs in February for a week
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: sailing BVIs in February for a week

If you're from Toronto, I suspect you will find every inch of BVI to be "quiet natural vs developed and noisy", by comparison. The islands are very laid back, everywhere. So much so, that you better lose any sense of urgency for anything.

There is nothing that is very developed, by my relative terms, other than perhaps Road Town or nearby, where I presume you will pick up your charter. Once you head anywhere else, its pretty quiet. Except for the occasional boat full of drunks, but they're not even that common.

You can find very secluded anchorages, but I suggest you hit the more popular spots if its your first trip. They are popular for a reason. You're more likely to find mooring balls, for one thing, if that matters to you. Secondly, you will swap stories with a ton of people that have been when you get back. You really can't say you've been to the BVI having never seen the Baths.

You will probably want to anchor or have a mooring ball that is further from the beach, if your nature is to prefer seclusion. Arrive as early as you can, to have your pick. Before 2pm is probably best.

There are a ton of posts on this board with advice on where to go and what to do. Type either of these into a google search:

site:sailnet.com bvi

site:sailnet.com british virgin islands

Here is a video that was posted and reportedly filmed there about two months ago. Its a pretty good representation of its relative development!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook