SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailboat insurance in canada
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: sailboat insurance in canada

You can get full insurance. Whether you are willing to pay for it is a personal thing. We checked in Canada could not find what we wanted. There was one company in BC (forget the name) that had good coverage and decent rates but they were too restrictive on date to go south Nov 15th.

We deal with IMIS in the Annapolis area with their Jackline policy through Merkel Insurance. They are used to older boats (need a good survey) and want your sailing resume. They do not cover singlehanders -not sure if anyone does, but do cover couples. Their navigational limits are ok, and you can pay extra to go elsewhere, eg we may go to Senegal and Gambia and these are not on the list so waiting to hear how much it would be. I think we paid $100 extra for Easter Island. I have heard good things about Pantenaeous sp?. There is a company whose names escapes me that offers really cheap insurance but makes claims almost impossible.

BTW 1 - For IMIS, they cover non-Americans but you need a US mailing address.
BTW 2 - The Jackline policy provides coverage for Swaziland and Lesotho, which is nice, except that neither is on the ocean. I offered to trade them these two for Senegal/Gambia.