SailNet Community - View Single Post - Herreshoff's Meadowlark sharpies
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Re: Herreshoff's Meadowlark sharpies

Well I dunno about most other sailors, but I do get excited by sharpies. I have developed what might be called a little obsession with them. I've read Reuel Parker's sharpie book twice over the past couple months and currently am about halfway through it for the third time. I have resolved that to build a Parker Terrapin 25 or something very similar is officially on my bucket list.

As far as cost of keeping one in a slip - it seems to me one of the beauties of a 25 or even up to 30-foot sharpie as compared to a similarly-sized keelboat is the ability for it to live on a trailer.

Sure, it doesn't have all the creature comforts of a modern GRP boat, but I am sincere and honest when I say I actually like a very simple boat - my current boat is a 1968 Pearson Wanderer, and aside from the Garmin GPS chartplotter and the VHF radio, it has zero electronics. No cabin heat, no A/C, no water heater, no flush toilet with holding tank (it has a composting head) not even an electric pump for my galley sink. And my goal for my "next boat" is something simpler. See, it turns out my wife is not a huge sailing fan, and has even less interest in overnighting. When I do go sailing, it's usually with a sailing buddy of mine. And I don't mind "roughing it" - in fact, I really enjoy going camping and making do with just the basics. Plus simpler = fewer things to break, malfunction or just go wrong.

I guess I've got inverse "next boat syndrome". Rather than wanting to move up to a larger, fancier boat, I'm looking forward to a less-expensive boat to own and maintain, and a sharpie that can use a small outboard motor and live on a trailer when I'm not using it seems pretty well-suited. Plus I think it would be a very cool project to build one.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by ilikerust; 12-22-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook