SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mayan calendar. The end of the world?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Mayan calendar. The end of the world?

The sun also rises, again. Meh!

This end of the world prediction was about as useful as the Weather Channel starting to name winter storms. Some media nutcase wanted to cause a stir and found some Mayan calendar that ended at the winter solstice in 2012. What might not have been taken into account by these spinners of the news is that the Mayans used hieroglyphs carved in stone to make their ideas known and visible to the world. Is it not possible that they just ran out of stone for carving hieroglyphs? My money is on this idea.

Imagine yourself a skilled Mayan stone carver being told by the high priest to carve out a calendar in some wall of rock. The priest or high official would want the calendar to be as long as possible but lets face it, real estate is real estate. Eventually the carver would have run out of space for the next quad-lenium. So what do you do? You make the priest/official happy and make the calendar go way beyond your great-great-great-great-great grandchildrens lifetime and forget about it, eh?

Not that I believe everything I read on wikipedia but at their page of Mayan calendar information there is a table showing that they had a word for a period of time that might consume 63 million solar years:
Of course, all of this is just speculation resting on the idea that our anthropologists have correctly interpreted what the Mayan culture has left behind.

Maybe our anthropologists incorrectly interpreted the Mayans and we are only a few days, weeks, months, years, decades, centuries or millenia away from the eventual "end of days" scenario.

I don't know but I but the stone carvers who made the Mayan calendars did not know either.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook