SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A sailor of any kind can not be a landlubber, by definition. Most think the term refers to someone who lives on land. This is the correct definition from Webster's:

So a docklubber, if not a landlubber, would be someone who knows little or nothing about land?
Landlubber is a pejorative term and I have seen it used here on this thread to reefer to all that don't live on a boat.

(nautical, pejorative) Someone unfamiliar with the sea or seamanship, especially a novice seaman.

landlubber - Wiktionary

The word *landlubber*, first recorded in the late 1690s, is formed from *land* and the earlier *lubber*. This *lubber* dates from the fourteenth century and originally meant 'a clumsy, stupid fellow; lout; oaf'. By the sixteenth century it had developed the specialized sense 'an unseamanlike person; inexperienced seaman', which is the same sense as *landlubber* and was eventually combined with *land* to emphasize the unfamiliarity-with-the-sea aspect.
From The Mavens' Word of the Day (October 9, 1997)

Pejorative because it assumes the superiority of those that live on a boat regarding the stupid or clumsy ones, the ones that live on land, sailors or not.

I was just joking regarding the word Docklubbers, I don't like I and try not to be pejorative regarding nobody. I was only pissed by the assumed superiority that some that live in a boat seem to assume regarding sailing, cruising or sea and boat knowledge, towards the ones that live most of the time in land expressed by a pejorative word to refer to them.

I don't consider that you think that way and I was not referring to you when I said that the attitude of some regarding this issue was pissing me

A happy Christmas to you and all around on this thread

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook