SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

I really miss the liveaboard lifestyle. For over 20 years I lived aboard and have fond memories of the many diverse people that I had the privlidge of knowing thorugh those years. I don't know why but I was always hesitate about saying that I was a live aboard. During the latter part of those years, I started a small engineering consulting company which required that I do a lot of traveling, so for maybe a half dozen of those years I was away from the boat for weeks at a time. Plus I had other property that could be used as an address if need be. I remember a fellow that was undergoing a devorce living aboard on a small sailboat at the end of the dock. He had a friend who wrote for the Washington Post that came to the dock to do an article about living aboard. There were quite a few liveaboads at the marina at this time and I think all spoke with him. However I was reluctant and while I did speak with him I did not want my name used. The article came out with pictures and all and wouldn't you know it within a year or two, all liveaboards were given short notice and were requried to leave. Not sure if there was a tie in to the article because of the lag time, but I hated to see people treated this way.

It's been 7 years since I've lived aboard and already have accumulated too much stuff. I think it was refreshing to get rid of 'stuff" and move aboard, but no matter where you live there are always things to explore and do even away from the sea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook