SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Boreal 44/OVNI 445/Allures 45

Thank you very much by your very interesting posts.

Two recommendations if you allow me:

Don't put a radar on the mast or use furling main. The boat as an adequate stability and AVS but one that should not be diminished anyway.

Mount a top of the rage electric/electronic autopilot. You can use the wind-vane with good weather to save energy but its performance in bad weather is very far away from the one of a good modern autopilot. Regarding that you can see in the videos I have been posted about the Vendee Globe how much abuse they can sustain. You will be very happy to have a modern autopilot as soon as the first storm you get. Modern boats have a better performance in bad weather if they keep sailing and with a top of the range auto pilot, if the sails are well regulated, you can leave the autopilot doing the work and go to sleep.

Regarding the Boreal 44 I like everything you say and is in mine opinion a better boat than the OVNI 445 (that is a great boat) and a boat comparable in performances with the Allures 45, maybe even a bit faster. It should be but I don't know, the Allures is a bit more powerful and I don't know if the design of the hull is not a bit better..

The only reserve I have on the boat and something that makes me a bit of confusion is how someone that is not a NA neither an NE chooses to design its own boat instead of working his good ideas with a good NA? That is what happened with Allures, that has a very similar story in what regards its beginnings:

The story begun some years ago with the Allures 44 and two friends, both engineers, that were not satisfied with the market offer regarding the boat they wanted for long voyaging. They talked with a lot of professional sailors, with people that had circumnavigated, joined that information with their own ideas and went to Berret-Racopeau to discuss the boat, that was later designed by that great naval firm. There was so many people liking their boat that they started a business that today is a big success.

With the Boreal 44, the owner made a boat, circumnavigate and according with the knowledge he reunited, designed and made a new boat, a better one, the Boreal 44. Then the same thing happened, lots of people liking the boat, and the guy turned in a successful boat builder.

I find difficult that a boat designed by an amateur would perform as well as a boat designed by qualified professionals with many years of practice but the truth is that the boat was tested by many and all find it an excellent sailing boat, being even elected as Voile magazine boat of the year by many testers.

Comparing the basic dimensions of the boats, the Boreal 44 has a LWL of 11.63 m, the OVNI 445 - 12.70m, the Allures 45 - 12.35.

Beam: Boreal-4.30m, the OVNI - 4.29m, Allures - 4.43m

Displacement: Boreal - 10 290kg, OVNI - 10 600kg, Allures - 11 800kg

B/D ratio: Boreal - 37%, OVNI - 32%, Allures - 37%

As we can see in what regards beam there is not many differences, being the Allures the one with the bigger beam but in what regards B/D there is a big difference between the Boreal/Allures and the OVNI.

In what regards stability and power the Allures has a bit more since it has less weight on the deck (that is made of cored composite to be lighter) and has a bit more form stability, but the difference to the OVNI, in what regards that is really considerable and I am sure that reflects not only in power but also on a better AVS on the other two boats.

I am going away to have Christmas with all the Family, so I will not be around on the next days. I wish to You, to all that follow this thread a merry Christmas, specially to the ones that have contributed and they are already many

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook