SailNet Community - View Single Post - recutting my blown out main
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
recutting my blown out main

Bucpic2.jpeg is the only one that shows much of the main. Its hard to analyse from a ''head on'' photo . But, from the ''girts'' (beginnings of creases) that run diagonally from the mast down towards the clew, suggests that there simply in not enough halyard tension (and perhaps too much outhaul tension). The mainsail also seems grossly overtrimmed and the wind seems exceptionaly light ---- so that may confuse what is actually going on in the pic. I also see that there are no tell-tales on the sails (luff and leech) ... and they would tremendously help in correctly setting and shaping a sail for the exact conditions at hand. My suggestion before you start recutting, etc. is to get a full set of telltales on each sail at the leech and luff (also do a websearch for "gentry-tufts") and then see if some heavy halyard tension in setting up the sails might greatly improve the situation; applying self adhesive draft stripes would also help. If you can find a copy of the "New - Best of Sail Trim", a paperback published by Sail Mag (about 1980) would be of benefit, especially the articles written by Arvel Gentry - probably one of the foremost aerodynamicists who did quite a lot of actual and theoretical sail analysis ... and then clearly wrote very elegant and simple articles for the sailing world.
From the age of the sail, the pic shown on the website either you need much more halyard (or cunningham) tension .... or need to ease the boltrope.
:-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook