SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sometimes that "junk" is stuff needed to be relocated for a refit of boat while being lived aboard.................................... he placed his possessions on deck. lets see anyone else do better than that guy..LOL
Sure, I've "spread out" for refit and work below or on deck, but we've seen the other examples too. I had a liveaboard boat drift into during a storm. The guy aboard had broken loose from his other boat that was sunk that he was tied to. His deck was covered with items he had hoarded,- rusting grills, washing machines even a lawn mower. I helped him get back to his spot in the morning. He seemed to have some mental disabilities. I made this observation of his boat and his condition not in "judgement" or distain, but an awareness of his condition. I visited another liveaboard who was showing me his beautifully done wood interior below. It was beautiful, but all surface areas below were stacked with stuff. Even the steps leading down from his companionway were stacked with can goods, leaving only a toe space on each step. The deck was not visible under boxes of things. This man was not working on a project, he simply was not able to adapt to living as a single person on his 41' boat and he had been living aboard for five years. My point is not to judge these people, but to say that they are the ones that are obvious liveaboards. All those that live aboard successfully without excess on their decks and docks are not easily seen as liveaboards. This phenomenon causes a misconception about what living aboard is like. Liveaboards can function without excess and at the same time not be exclusive or "Yachties" or judging others. I do believe that the most successful liveaboards are not burdened by excess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook