SailNet Community - View Single Post - SF Bay Sailors - Transiting the Bonita Channel?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay Sailors - Transiting the Bonita Channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Great links, thanks! Hadn't heard about "Loverboy" getting swept overboard. Gives a whole new meaning to "Take the wheel"! That, and the link to one of my old threads did did bring up a issue though. With all the sage advice in this thread, I didn't see any mention of harnesses. I'm tethered every time I head out the Gate, except on the most benign days (when I usually only go out far enough to give people a ride under the bridge anyway!) Don't want to start a fire fight like the epic one that evolved from the old thread and a related one (which was removed when it burst into flames), but thought I would mention it.
If you are in the Bonita Channel, I think you should be tied in. That way, at least you will be with your boat when it goes on the rocks!
Good point, when outside, the few times I had to go forward to take down the jib, I used a tether short enough so that I couldn't fall over the side. If by yourself it would be virtually impossible to get back on board and extremely difficult for crew members to pull you back on board. If I was to do it over I would have all lines run back to the cockpit. Another option is if your gut tells you it is, or will be too rough, go back, there is always another day.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook