SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012

monsieur bis is on a distinguished road
Re: Boreal 44

I am amazed how JFD designed such a boat and not being a NA. But he has done so...

I wanted to wish everyone a happy holidays as well,and wanted to congratulate Hannah2 on his taste in boats. I had the pleasure once of sailing on a Boreal 50 and I was incredibly impressed. And while the Boreal and the Allures are similar concepts in certain respects, they are also I think quite different. If I understand correctly the Boreal is more of what we in France call a dériveur lesté (a keel/centerboarder maybe in English), while the allures is more of a dériveur intégral (a centerboarder with internal ballast only). This means that a dériveur lesté has a shallow keel which houses the centerboard thus allowing it to be lower, as well as providing a lower placement of the lead ballast. The argument also goes that this shallow keel improves tracking. As far as I know the allures carries its ballast in its bilges and its centerboard is only heavy enough to insure it doesn't float given it is a NACA foil section and thus has volume. Because of all of this I would be very surprised if the allures had a lower center of gravity, even considering it has a fiberglass deck. In any event, this is how I understood the differences between the two boats. Once again happy holidays.

Best,

Frédéric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook