SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
Thanks smurphny and Faster, I will refill the secondary (which i didn't do initially) and check all seals and connections. maybe install a squeez bulb with a caution about air leaks, maybe temporary install (but then i'll get a leak again when i remove)? I thought diesel engines were so carefree and reliable!
By the way, why would an air leak develop all of a sudden after topping fuel? Someone earlier said it was unrelated but this engine always ran great and what about the principle of last thing done is probably the problem?
Thanks again all for your interest and input.
I wouldn't worry about removing a temporary squeegee. The pressurized system begins after the fuel pump which will probably pump the system full before sucking air. Do you have a filter before the on-engine filter? If not, it would be a good time to install one. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...9530&id=133942 They're reasonably priced and keep the primary filter clean so you don't have to change that little one too often. You could easily put the temp pumper from that filter to the fuel line and quickly remove it when she kicks over. A filter between tank and engine also will assure the injectors don't get clogged. I hope that's not your problem already because they are a pain to remove and clean. You can also crack open a banjo fitting to see if fuel is getting to the injectors. You need to torque those back down if loosened.

One thing to be VERY careful of is hydro-locking the engine by cranking too much and filling the exhaust system with water which then backs up into the engine and fills the lowest cylinder. Just close the sea **** or pull off the line leading to the riser and let it drain into the bilge until the engine starts.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-23-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook