SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Christmas Tree Ship
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: The Christmas Tree Ship

I read the title and I thought of the "Santa Ship" that makes the rounds of the San Juan and Gulf Islands each year. Not really a maritime story, but pretty unique. The Bellingham Lions Club charters a big boat and a group of about 50+ get all costumed up and they travel around the islands, stopping at several places each day letting the island kids get to sit on Santa's lap and giving presents, balloons, etc. Most of the kids wouldn't have a chance to see Santa otherwise, and it's pretty special to see this big boat arrive with Christmas carols blasting out the speakers and Santa and Mrs. Claus out on the bow waving. I'm not sure why they stop at our island since there are so few of us here and usually only a couple of kids, it might have something to do with the HUGE hot feast we have waiting for them (this year there were two turkeys, a ham, and two big picnic tables full of everything from smoked salmom, local prawns, homemade chocolates and about a dozen desserts. Some exceptional cooks here). My grandson, who just turned three last week was the only kid here this year so he of course was the star of the whole thing and is absolutely sure that the "Santa Ship" just came to see him. It's really special and the whole island (all 20 +- of us) looks forward to it each year. Here are some pics.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook