SailNet Community - View Single Post - Two birds with one boat: travel and learning in the Gulf
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012

Dowesva is on a distinguished road
Re: Two birds with one boat: travel and learning in the Gulf

It certainly seems so, although I have one possible ride thanks to another forum. If I can't find anything beforehand my plan is to fly down to Panama, check out the properties, and hit the harbors in search of a ride. Worst case scenario I'll be flying out to Belize from there and working my way up to the Yucatan, which is what I'd be doing if I hadn't thought of checking for a boat anyways.

I still haven't worked out the details with the captain who might be up for it, but he's in Puerto Rico so it would add another leg to the trip I would love to have. Assuming he bites my ideal route (we haven't gotten to how many stops yet) would be:

Parque Tayrona, Colombia
Cartagena, Colombia
*Portobelo, Panama
*Bocas del Toro, Panama
*Boquete, Panama
Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica
Vivarios, Nicaragua
Roatan, Honduras
*Hopkins, Belize
The Blue Hole, Belize
*Corozal, Belize
Ambergris Caye, Belize
*Tulum & Akumel, Mexico

I put asterisks on the places I need to property hunt (2-5 days) and the rest are just places I'd like to visit. I was hoping to get some opinions before I show that list to him. Is that a reasonable number of stops for a Feb-April trip?
Are there any issues I should be aware of for these locations? (security issues, tourist trap, high docking fees, etc)
Are there any must-sees or must-property-hunts along that route that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook