SailNet Community - View Single Post - gps recommendation
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I have a hand held Garmin GPSMAP 76CS with the color charts that I have been using for 3 years. There are two things I don't like about it; one is the fact that BlueCharts divided the Pacific Northwest into two seperate areas to purchase (Canadian & US) what a rip job; two the display is very small and requires a lot of zooming in and out and Garmin is still locked into that ancient 640 X480 resolution. Other than that it is a nifty little unit that I can carry with me on anyones boat or car for that matter. It holds 115 MB of memory and the Pacific Northwest only consumes about 22MB, lots left over for topo maps or street maps. You can also plug into a sunlight readable laptop using USB port and see live tracking on the laptop display.
While on the topic of GPS displays can anyone provide me with a solution for my non-sunlight readable laptop. When out on the boat I have to keep it below to see the screen, if I bring it topside or even near the companion way the sun washes out the display as it is stronger than the backlight of the display. This really sucks and I need a cheap solution, those sulight readable laptops are very expensive, it would be cheaper to just buy a larger garmin unit but I want to keep it under $100.00 for the solution. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook