SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mayan calendar. The end of the world?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012

SeaStar7 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mayan calendar. The end of the world?

I found all the talk of the Mayan calendar much ado about nothing, especially when compared to climate change. I went to work on my boat yesterday and then drove down to the beach and right when I walked to the beach, a manatee surfaced. I've been in SWFLA for 25 years and have never seen a manatee on Christmas Eve or day, or this time of year. Usually they are well inland in a warm spring where the water temp is 70 degrees (the Gulf usually being about 55 degrees in December) Turns out, our gulf water temp is 72 degrees. I've also noticed warmer dec, jan, feb air & water temps the past 10 years (the winter of 2010 being the exception.). I wonder why so many concerned themselves with Mayan predictions of doom (a culture itself that largely vanished hundreds of years ago), when we have serious problems that will really doom millions, if not billions of humans.
Why are our heads buried in the sand or distracted by the garbage of pop culture & the society of conspicuous consumption? Oops! I answered my question with my own question!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook