SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Wow! Allures 44 in the long long night.

Good Boats Don't Kill Sailors, Sailors kill Sailors!

That is one tough boat and one tough sailor.

More reasons we picked the Boreal over the Allures as both are strong tough boats but we felt the Boreal was a little more what we call industrial and we could work with the designer to customize.

If you look at the cleats on deck between the two boats there is a major difference. The Allures are more standard design that you see on most sailboats. They are also through bolted because of fiberglass deck. On the Boreal the cleats are welded not only to the aluminum deck but have struts under neath and those are welded to deck and hull on the inside. They are also big enough to take a two inch line. That is something we see in far off places when you have to tie with a commercial fishing vessel or a stone pier. We had Boreal design a Sampson post for our bow, again it will come in handy in out of the way places. I wish boats would still put Sampson Posts on boats that are going off shore.

We are also having a one inch high aluminum rib around the front and sides of all are deck hatches for protection. Again an old idea that is important to extreme conditions and use, just not seen anymore. We will also go with Goiot Hatches much stronger and safer than Lewmar hatches. No plastic locks or handles.

Please ask questions if you have any. If I can answer your questions I will.

I know, I know! I'm obsessed with our new boat but how can I not be we are getting so close to June sea trials and putting everything in order to go cruising again.

Well it is Christmas day and it is snowing like crazy here in Oregon. Cooking our pet turkey whose name was Beatrice. Have fresh oysters and making oyster stuffing, better yet I got a good single malt in hand.

Hope you all are having or had a great holiday.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook