SailNet Community - View Single Post - The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

The weather was beautiful this morning, winds from the northeast at 10 to 12, perfect day for sailing. At 10 this morning, shortly after washing the breakfast dishes and talking with my family in the frozen north, I headed across Boot Key Harbor, passed through Sisters Creek, and out into Hawk Channel. As soon as I cleared the creek markers, the sails went up and the engine was shut down. Had a beam reach most of the way, passed over the reef just east of Sombrero Light, then headed due south till the depths exceeded 200 feet. The water out there is a deep, azure blue, and it actually sparkles as your boat wake pushes the water outward from the hull.

After about 4 hours, the winds increased to just over 20 MPH, so I turned around and had a beam reach all the way to the mouth of Sisters Creek, where I lowered the sails and fired up the engine. What a fantastic way to spend Christmas Day. 75-degrees, low humidity, a wonderful sail, good food and a green coconut Margaretta. It doesn't get any better than this.

The photos are not that great, taken with my cellular telephone. Top is the view of Sombrero Light from 2 miles out in the ocean. And yes, the water is really that blue.

This photo was taken as I passed over the reef northeast of Sombrero Light.

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook