SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC37 Forward Water Tank
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC37 Forward Water Tank

The stainless steel holding plate in my Kollmann Marine Products refrigeration system sprung a leak at its bottom weld. It was a spot that I could not see and could just barely touch with my finger. Removing the plate for repairs would have been a major job involving the dismantlement of both the engine drive and electrical refrigeration systems. At the sugestion of Richard Kollmann I emptied the plate of its water/PG mixture and added a little water and red food dye then pressurized the tank with air. With a bit of paper towel wapped around my finger I padded around until I found the leak location. I emptied the plate again, refilled it with acetone, let the acetone leak for a while, emptied the acetone out, and blew the cold plate dry with compressed air. I sanded the area on the outside of the tank around the leak with 100 grit paper and cleaned the outside with acetone. The actual repair was three coats of JB Weld applied one at a time each larger than the one before to the offending area with the tip of my finger. The entire repair was done by feel alone. I could not even get a mirror in place to see the damaged area.

It had been a couple of years now, and so far so good.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook