SailNet Community - View Single Post - Enlarging hole in hull
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Enlarging hole in hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I had to do the same thing last season for a pump out fitting. I had used the wrong hole saw, at least I used one too small rather than too large. I ended up using a rotary rasp on a power drill.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...1&d=1356466075

Going very slow and keeping the drill at a right angle to the work suface allowed me to enlarge the hole in just few mins. Make sure you have drawn a very clear border to work out to, stop just shy of the line then finish with a small sanding drum or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. Again, keeping the tools at a 90 degree angle to the hull will be key for this project.
I've put in new holes...

and enlarged holes very quickly with a carbide bit. I have a lot of air at home to use one but not so much at the boat. We were going to do so much work there that we did buy a $100 portable air compressor to use there on 110. It won't run long, but I don't need it that much.

The other thing I like about the air tool/carbide bit is that...

...I can get up into places and enlarge holes or make them where it would be very hard to do with another tool.

I do think I'll make an oops arbor tomorrow though. I was going to order one, but $8 shipping on a $8 tool made me think twice. It should take less than an hour to make one. I don't get paid much for my time so I'm good there ,

Sum

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook