SailNet Community - View Single Post - At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
OK - I've gotta ask - there seems to have been a lot of these "what's the best weapon to carry for self-defense against pirates" threads lately....is that because there is an actual increase in piracy in the areas most people cruise?
Ironically, worldwide, is just the opposite.

Report: Sea piracy drops to lowest level in four years - CNN.com

Areas that most people cruise have none, such as New England.
While piracy worldwide - primarily against merchant shipping - may be on the decline, there have definitely been some incidents within the past year or so in areas before considered to be relatively safe, that should give cruisers pause... The recent attacks in Belize, and Bocas del Toro, are just two such examples...

Cruisers will simply have to modify their notion of what constitutes "Paradise", it seems to me...

Although there might not be a palm tree in sight, I'll chose the sort of place where a stranger might inform you that the keys are always left in that pickup truck over there, if you should want to borrow it to make a run to the general store a couple of miles down the road, over a place like present-day Honduras, every single time...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook