SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 27 Maintenance - Where to start
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 27 Maintenance - Where to start

We bought a 1973 C27 last year - - and have LOVED it. An awesome boat for us. We did lots of small cosmetic things right away because it was SO ugly (painted gray non-skid, refinished wood), and replaced a couple of sails. I'm pretty particular about the electrical stuff (I really really insist that when you switch something "on", it should actually go on . . . so replaced all of the wiring and put in a new electrical panel.

This winter we are replacing all of the standing rigging. They're currently done with corroding Nicopress. No problems, but they looked scary.

We added an organizer and clutches when we ran the halyard lines to the cockpit.

New Tiller handle (old one was rotted and broke off in our hands). We were at the dock, or that would have been WAY exciting.

There are a bunch of thru-hulls with gate valves (rusted/frozen solid) that are getting replaced in spring too. They were bad bad bad, but we lucked out on that too.

We also added some "handy" improvements just cause they were fun and we wanted too: permanent boarding ladder on the stern, changed the name and added 'cool' lettering/logo on hull, headsail bag so we can leave the jib hanked on, GPS with charting software, solar panels that we can plug in when we're off the boat (not permanently mounted - - - yet).

My suggestion - deal with safety issues first, and do a few fun things to make it "yours" too.

You did good - - -an awesome boat for sure.

~markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook