SailNet Community - View Single Post - Book recommendations for rounding Van Isle?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Book recommendations for rounding Van Isle?

Hi there Gentlemen, thanks to you both!

I'm a confessed guidebook lover and the last Dreamspeaker we need is for the Broughtons. Buying that will mean we own the set! I have a few grumbles with their guides, but overall I find them clear and mostly accurate. I'm aware of the others, and have read them all. I think we won't sail with too many other guidebooks, but certainly with all the paper charts, and two chartplotters and one GPS aboard.

But my question is mainly about pleasure reading. I'd love a good library of books on sailing the area, the human history and of course, natural history. Between Anthropology and Zoology degrees, I have interest in the whole range of life there!

We've now spent what feels like many years on the East Side of Vancouver Island up to Sonora Island, and one summer a while back I paddled my kayak solo from Anacortes to Port Hardy, so I have experienced further north and the particular pleasures of Johnstone Strait.

Anyway, thanks again for book ideas. Our departure date from Campbell River will be about July 14th, 2013. I will have taken Aeolus up to CR in the weeks prior to save us that 140 miles of familiar territory on our voyage around.

BTW Faster, I just saw your post on your stringers and must add my kudos for a job well done. So satisfying to make something stronger, and what wonders a coat of paint does!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook