SailNet Community - View Single Post - Book recommendations for rounding Van Isle?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Book recommendations for rounding Van Isle?

I like to go through the Yucultas and then to Blind Channel.

I have posted some info here North to the Broughtons

They have free wifi and that gives me a chance to check the Environment Canada Marine web site. (Pacific - South Coast - Forecast - Environment Canada) for both a forecast and the current conditions. The web site conditions update hourly. I watch Fanny Island which is where I will enter the Strait. I often check the weatherfax to see what is coming in the next few days. Downloading grib files will give a sense of the next week. I get usually get a cell connection to check the site again after I get into Sunderland Channel after going through Whirlpool rapids.

I then will bail out of the Strait at Havannah Channel which will get me into the Broughtons. Knight Inlet can get similar conditions to Johnstone Strait, but the route to Tribune Channel is quite short.

If you need to get Hardy quickly stay at Lagoon Cove (just get there in time for the potluck) or Potts Lagoon and then enter the last part of Johnstone Strait by going through Baronet Passage. I get get to Hardy from here is a day.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook