SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Cigale 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
Sorry to go back a few posts on this thread but the discussion on Aluminum boats was fascinating and particularly relevant to me as I am looking to buy something along those lines (perhaps Allure, Alubat or, now I have read the discussion, Boreal or Atlantic). While I am very taken with the whole variable draft thing, I think it is the advantages of Aluminum that I find most compelling. Does anyone have experience of the Alubat Cigale range and how it might compare to any of the other boats mentioned in terms of suitability for cruising?

Any insight gratefully received before I go touring French yards..........
Sorry, I missed your post. I love the Cigale and Atlantic taken apart (and now that Alliage disappeared) I would chose a Cigale over any other aluminum production boat.

Ok, it has a big disadvantage in what regards draft but I would gladly exchange that by the pleasure at the wheel and the speed. I have been inside the boat and it is just great. Other advantage is price: The boat is made by Alubat, the same builder of OVNI and the Cigale 16 (52ft) and it is considerably less expensive than a Boreal 50 and probably less expensive and with a nicer interior than a Altantic 43.

But that's me that love to go fast, have fun sailing and have no particular pleasure in going to "uncharted" territory and could live with a 2.4m draft. With you it can be a complete different case and for each boat like the Cigale there are made much more boats like the Ovni, Allures or Boreal, meaning that much more sailors gladly exchange speed and a better stability by a bigger flexibility in what regards draft and beaching the boat.

Regarding the Cigale there is a member of this forum that has one and he says the best about the boat. To find it go to the threads about Cigale and you will find his posts.

Another option of a boat that has also a very good sailing performance, a smaller draft and can be beached on 2 legs ( twin keel) is the Iroise 46. Not expensive, with 1,80m of draft and a very good stability. I have already posted about it.

Not made of aluminium but also a French favorite in what regards voyage boats is the Rm 1360, a brand new boat, also fast and with a relatively small draft. The previous boat was a great one and this one is going to be better for sure. The boat is very solid, is made of marine plywood and epoxy with a structurally integrated twin keel. A a test of the smaller boat the also new 1260 and after some videos with the 1300 that is going to be substituted by the 1360:

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook