SailNet Community - View Single Post - hauling her home instead of storing at the yard
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Re: hauling her home instead of storing at the yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY36 View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I don't expect it to be cheaper than yard storage, but I would be able to get an amazing amount of work done on her.

I can easily estimate all the costs except for the trucking. I was hoping someone here had a rough idea.
I was planning on bringing my 26' Etap home, after four years on the hard in a marina, eating me out of house and home. I got a price using a hydraulic trailer that was about the same as the winter storage cost, and I'd have to buy stands. It all ended when when I damaged the retractable keel I had just rebuilt in trying to put it back on! Then the hurricane came along and roughed up the marina, so there she sits for another winter.

The biggest advantage to bringing it home? It doesn't matter if you get it finished over the winter. If life happens, the problems are harder to fix than you thought, prostate cancer, the boat carpenter you hire disappears after his wife is killed in an accident, your dad breaks his ankle, then his hip. You know just the usual stuff!

I have a plan, now if only the plan agreed with me!

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook