SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau 42 vs. Catalina 42
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Jeanneau 42 vs. Catalina 42

For cruising the sound and north to around Van Isle etc, Either will work. If you want to sail to Hawaii, either will work! If you want to go try the northern passage, or to anartica....both should work.....

Reality is, both IMHO are about the same, Brian, AKA CD one of our illustrious mods iwth a cat 400 IIRC would disagree, but being as I own a Jeanneau.......we'll let his ugly bull dog and my cute King Charles cavalier duke it out!

The jeanneau might worry me in that it has been around, so things may not be as sound. Then again, it may be more sound since the owners were on it more, so it got fixed upgraded as need be.

Some things one really needs to know, how old are the sails.....if both are original, the Jeanneau's may be more worn out due to the circumnavigation. Hrs on the motor, tankage is enough for YOUR needs.

Jeanneau's size for size are generally faster, a little more new'ish/cutting edge design vs catalina. On the other hand, Catalina uses lead for a keel vs iron in Jeanneau, for some this is a plus for lead, and they will not by iron. Iron is cheaper too!

At the end, get the kids on board, wife etc, Figure out HOW they will fit, is one seem easier to sail rigging wise. what will you need to change etc. Add up the extra's you will have to do on top of the boat coast, then you will know which is best for you.

Both also have owners forums etc online. www.jeanneau-owners.com and Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home will get you to a general info/world wise new info and the forum. face book page https://www.facebook.com/groups/16871511284/ I'm sure Brian can come up with the same for catalina.

marty