SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to sailnet, Mainer who wants to get into sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailnet, Mainer who wants to get into sailing

Moose, welcome to Sailnet (and potentially to sailing!).

Based on the questions that you are asking, I highly recommend that you check your local area for a US Power and Sail or USCG Auxiliary sailing course. They are inexpensive and will give you a solid foundation for starting your sailing education (which will never end, hopefully). I would also recommend joining a local sailing club so that you can sail on other people's boats and ask questions.

When I first started I didn't even know what questions I should have been asking. I joined a local club (best $40 I spend each year) started crewing on boats during races and taking day sails and had the opportunity to listen to gripes about maintenance, cost, etc. After not very long I longed to be one of those people griping about maintenance, cost, etc. but at least I knew what I was getting into before I bought my first boat and I was able to try different types of boats to start crossing off my list.

SailNet is a great place to ask questions and as you get more experience you'll ask even more questions. The members here are extremely helpful.

I think you mentioned purchasing a catamaran on another thread. I'm not a multihull gal but I'm pretty sure any cat you can buy for $1000 won't safely make the trip you are planning.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook