SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Choice
Thread: Boat Choice
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Boat Choice

There are actually two different companies that built two different boats all called Mariner 36. Neither were built by Tayana as far as I know but one was built in Taiwan. The Taiwanese Mariners were ''character boats'' constructed to look and feel traditional. The various models varied pretty widely in sailing ability but most were slow and not especially great sailors. Build quaility was generally considered pretty mediocre with deck core rot extremely common. Most of these boats had wooden spars which had glue line and rot problems if not carefully maintained. Hardware tended to be oriental knock offs of older style gear and so was of dubious reliablility and imposible to find parts for. During the years that my mother and stepfather was importing their lines of boats from Taiwan, my step father was pretty harsh on the build quality on the Mariners.

The other Mariner 36 was constructed in Maine and seemed to be a pretty nice boat. I have not seen too many of these around. They look like they should be well rounded sailers and should be good boats for coastal cruising and limited offshore work.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook