SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production boats- justified bias?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Production boats- justified bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

But, as a very interested, motivated sailor/consumer, I'm just saying that most of the arguments being made against newer boats are just not that convincing (even when they come from very knowledgeable dudes) - especially when put up against the type of sailing the vast majority of people will ever do...even in blue water.

It simply comes down to priorities. And I personally am not willing to sacrifice speed, space, and modern comfort during the ~95% of the time I'll sail in my lifetime, for the potential discomfort during the ~5% imposition of the "fun tax".
Well, I can't help but notice the irony of the guy who's all about "Big Freakin' Sails" is the same one most determined to ignore the perspectives offered by those who have actually DONE some truly Big Freakin' Sailing... (grin)

OK, here's another to dismiss... John Neal, with 300,000+ miles in the South Pacific, Caribbean, Patagonia, Antarctica, Atlantic, Scandinavia and the Arctic, has likely seen his fair share of Big Freakin' Sailing...

Quote:

Windward sailing performance is nearly as important as passage-making speed. On the other extreme, a very modern, light displacement boat with a flat entry may tend to pound when sailing to windward and may lack directional stability when sailing downwind with large following seas. The ability to sail off a lee shore in an emergency is dependent on windward performance.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook