SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Re: German Yacht Magazine Article on Full vs. Fin Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The comparison was made on the conditions a heavy boat with a lot of rocker would be at his best and a modern boat at is worst. They also chose for the comparison a particularly tender boat. If they had chosen the slightly bigger jeanneau 33i (much more stiff) I am sure the results would be different
Whoa.. a 30i is a particularly tender boat??? Clearly it is representative of a stiff production boat of the 30 foot size compared to the others. The test clearly shows the more comfortable boats are heavier boats with more mass righting moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That different performance with lots if wind and short waves upwind is the weak point of many modern mass production cruisers like Hunter, Catalina, Oceanis or Dufour (just to mention some). To go really fast on those conditions you need a much stiffer performance cruiser like for instance a Xp or First. It would no be more comfortable, or at least it will have a completely different motion:.
Paulo
No, clearly comfort is related to mass and associated hull/keel design.. I am continually amazed that this simple fact seems to escape you.

I also don't see Hunter and Catalina which traditionally have heavier boats equivalent to the Oceanis which tends to be lighter.

Sorry.. you are wrong.
Bryce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook