SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
post #32 of Old 12-27-2012
the pointy end is the bow
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

I needed a new shaft for a Jabsco water pump a couple years ago. I took the old one into a machine shop and had them turn out two for me. A replacement and a spare. I got two shafts for less than a new one from Jabsco. I wonder if you could have a new shaft machined? Also, if you take your parts to a bearing store, they can take measurements and provide you with both bearings and seals based on the dimensions. A person can often get seals and bearings for a fraction of the cost this way, but it takes some patience.

For cleaning up parts for painting, a little sandblaster makes quick work of it. I bought the sandblaster nozzle for $25 then bought a plastic foot locker, but a window hole in the top and screwed in a piece of plexiglass for a viewing port. I cut two holes to stick my arms through and cemented in some PVC couplings so I had something to hose clamp a couple of big rubber gloves to on the inside. For about $50 total, I have a portable sandblaster that I either set up on saw horses or on the bed or the pickup.

S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome