SailNet Community - View Single Post - At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: At Last! Definitive Self Defense for Sailors

FYI, it's not a Flare, it's payload is Magnesium and makes it an "Incendiary" round. Made from mixed small and larger pieces. The lg. pieces will do the major fire damage and the sm. pieces help light them up in the barrel which is why NO Semi-Auto guns (gas port for the action) should ever use them.

Magnesium doesn't go out easily and will burn under water. Fire depts. dread Magnesium fires because they can't use Water. But, it's much safer than any Phosphorous Shell or Flare to store.

From Wiki; Magnesium is capable of reducing water to highly flammable hydrogen gas and as a result, water cannot be used to extinguish magnesium fires; the hydrogen gas produced will only intensify the fire.

Magnesium also reacts with carbon dioxide to form magnesium oxide and carbon:
hence, carbon dioxide fire extinguishers cannot be used for extinguishing magnesium fires either.

Sand or a Dry Chem. extinguisher are the only things that will put it out (if it's much larger pieces of Mag.)

If you were to shoot them at a Boat attacking you and even a few of the pieces burn through into the Bilge, that Boat is basically gone!!

HTH!

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 12-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook